閉じる

境内のご案内 INSIDE MAP OF THE TEMPLE

>> Japanese 日本語

Old Shigure-tei Site

Old Shigure-tei Site and Immortal Poets Shrine

There are several opinions about where the exact location of Shigure-tei, the poet Fujiwara Teika’s (1162-1241) mountain villa, used to be. It is believed to have been located somewhere between the north side of Niomon gate and the south side of the adjacent Nison-in temple.

In this same area there originally used to be a small shrine built some time during the Muromachi period (1392-1573), dedicated to Teika with his statue inside. Later, when Jojakko-ji temple was erected in 1596, the monks’ living quarters turned out to be located higher than this august shrine, so it was moved to the present site, higher on the hillside. At first, it was a miniature shrine, but was rebuilt in its present size in 1908. It has been called the Immortal Poets’ Shrine (Kasenshi) since then. The name plaque was written by the well-known ink painter Tomioka Tessai (1837-1924).

There also used to be a hermitage on one of the possible old Shigure-tei sites, immediate south of the Immortal Poets’ Shrine. It was destroyed by a typhoon in the early 20th century and has not been rebuilt. The construction date of this hermitage is unknown, but a map of the temple grounds included in an old document housed in this temple, Story of Sojuin Priest Nissho (1728), has an illustration of a hut in this location. The same building is also shown in Guide to Famous Kyoto Sites (1780). This proves that it was here as early as the mid-18th century.

  • Jojakko-ji Temple
  • An impression of Jojakko-ji Temple
  • Main Gate
  • Niomon Gate
  • Myoken Bodhisattva
  • Main Hall
  • Tahoto Pagoda
  • Old Shigure-tei Site

Illustration: Nakarai Hiroshi
Translation: Steiner Translation Bureau

>>> next