閉じる

境内のご案内 INSIDE MAP OF THE TEMPLE

>> Japanese 日本語

Niomon Gate

Niomon Gate

This gate served originally as the south entrance to the Guest Hall (Kyakuden) of Honkoku-ji temple, built during the Jowa era (1345-49). It was moved to Jojakko-ji in 1616 and made into the Niomon (a gate with Nio, two guardian gods). This is the oldest structure of all the buildings on the temple grounds. Its thatched roof is a rarity. The Nio statues are 210 cm tall, and are attributed to the renowned 13th-century Buddhist sculptor Unkei. Since Nio guardian gods are believed to have divine power to cure diseases of the eyes, lower back, and legs in particular, devotees in the neighboring towns come to offer a pair of straw sandals and pray for recovery from illness.

  • Jojakko-ji Temple
  • An impression of Jojakko-ji Temple
  • Main Gate
  • Niomon Gate
  • Myoken Bodhisattva
  • Main Hall
  • Tahoto Pagoda
  • Old Shigure-tei Site

Illustration: Nakarai Hiroshi
Translation: Steiner Translation Bureau

>>> next