閉じる

境内のご案内 INSIDE MAP OF THE TEMPLE

>> Japanese 日本語

Jojakko-ji Temple

Jojakko-ji Temple

It was founded by the 16th head priest of Honkoku-ji, Priest Nisshin, during the Keicho era (1596-1615). With the support of Kobayakawa Hideaki, the Guest Hall (Kyakuden) of Momoyama Castle was moved to this temple and became its main hall. The south gate (built during the mid-14th century) to the Guest Hall of Honkoku-ji temple, was moved to this temple in 1616 to serve as the Niomon gate. The Nio statues are attributed to the renowned 13th-century Buddhist sculptor Unkei (1151-1223). Among the temple treasures is a kurumagoto (small portable koto stringed instrument), which was granted to the lady Kogo-no-Tsubone by Emperor Takakura (1161-1181). The kurumagoto was then donated to this temple by Kobayakawa Hideaki. (It is not on public display.)

Inside map (JPEG)

  • Jojakko-ji Temple
  • An impression of Jojakko-ji Temple
  • Main Gate
  • Niomon Gate
  • Myoken Bodhisattva
  • Main Hall
  • Tahoto Pagoda
  • Old Shigure-tei Site

Illustration: Nakarai Hiroshi
Translation: Steiner Translation Bureau

>>> next