閉じる

境内のご案内 INSIDE MAP OF THE TEMPLE

>> Japanese 日本語

Hondo image

Main Hall

With the financial support of Kobayakawa Hideaki during the Keicho era (1596-1615), the Guest Hall (Kyakuden) of Momoyama Castle was moved to Jojakko-ji temple to serve as its main hall. This was the time of the 2nd priest, Nisho. According to illustrations found in literature and other material from the Edo period, the Main Hall had a two-layered hon-gawara-style roofing (the style using round and flat titles overlapping alternately). When major repairs to the Main Hall took place in 1932, it was converted to the present hira-gawara-style roofing (the style using flat tiles only).

Belfry

The belfry was constructed by the 4th chief priest, Nissen, in 1642. The original temple bell was appropriated during World War II to make use of its metal. The present bell was cast in 1973 under the design and supervision of Dr. Aoki Ichiro. It has the classic style of acoustics called ojikicho. Every day, the bell is struck at noon and at 5 pm.

  • Jojakko-ji Temple
  • An impression of Jojakko-ji Temple
  • Main Gate
  • Niomon Gate
  • Myoken Bodhisattva
  • Main Hall
  • Tahoto Pagoda
  • Old Shigure-tei Site

Illustration: Nakarai Hiroshi
Translation: Steiner Translation Bureau

>>> next